Message from Norwalk Mayor Margarita L. Rios Regarding COVID-19
The City of Norwalk’s number one priority is the safety and well-being of our community. We have taken numerous steps to provide the community with helpful information, resources and assistance. Additionally, we continue adopting guidelines recommended by Governor Gavin Newsom and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. The City’s proactive and aggressive measures are being implemented to help slow the transmission of COVID-19.
The City Council recognizes that, now more than ever, we must work together to take care of one another, our families and most vulnerable. I am extremely proud of our community, my colleagues on the Council and City staff, who are doing an exemplary job at meeting the needs of our community. Our solidarity during this emergency is fundamental to safeguard our community, deploy resources where they are most needed and ultimately, rise as a stronger City.
To date, the City has taken the following actions:
- Launched a hotline to take information or to take general questions, M-F from 8am-8pm, 562-929-5760.
- City Hall modified schedule; open ONLY for essential services by appointment. These departments include Building & Safety, Planning, Housing, Engineering and Transit.
- Continued responding to code enforcement matters via phone.
- Held the March 17 Council Meeting via teleconference and encouraged resident participation by submitting public comments to email@example.com. The City Council is discussing how future meetings will take place.
- Cancelled all City-sponsored events and programming.
- Suspended parking citations for street sweeping, unless it poses a public hazard.
- Continue providing seniors 60 and older with meals. Interested seniors may call the Senior Center at 562-929-5580.
- Continue servicing the community via the Social Services Department. Residents may call 562-929-5544.
During this critical time, I want to remind our community to be kind and reassuring to each other. Let’s support our restaurants by ordering takeout or delivery. To markets and shoppers, avoid price gouging during this emergency and purchase only necessary quantities.
The City also applauds efforts by utility companies for suspending service disconnections for non-payment.
- Liberty Utilities - https://california.libertyutilities.com/compton/residential/safety/covid-19-statement.html.
- Golden State Water Company - https://www.gswater.com/covid-19-updates/.
- Norwalk Water – 562-929-5766
- SoCal Gas - https://socalgas.com/coronavirus.
- Southern California Edison - https://www.sce.com/safety/coronavirus.
I want to stress that we will overcome this. If you have any questions or need to speak to someone, please reach us at our hotline 562-929-5760. We are a connected community, let’s continue displaying our solidarity. For updated information, visit https://www.norwalk.org/city-hall/departments/public-safety/norwalk-emergency-management-office/preparing-for-emergencies/covid-19.