12700 Norwalk Blvd. Room 5
Monday – Thursday 8:00am – 6:00pm
Before you apply for a business license be sure to complete the following steps:
- Check zoning requirements with the City's Planning Division
- Get a Home Occupation Permit (Required ONLY if Home Based Business)
- Get Fictitious Business Name (DBA; Doing Business As) from the LA County Recorder's Office
- Get Resale Number from CA Department of Tax and Fee Administration - CDTFA (Required ONLY if conducting Sales)
- Get Tobacco License from CDTFA (Required ONLY if selling tobacco products)
- Get Health Permit from LA County Department of Health (Required ONLY if selling food products)
- Submit a completed Business License Application including the Sub –Category page
To Obtain a Business License
- Professions: Any profession or vocation licensed by the State, related to a licensed profession and/or requiring a period of specialized training.
- Service and Trades: Any business mainly of a service nature such as: barbers/beauticians, manicurist, day care, gardeners, handyman, housekeeping, janitorial, maintenance, auto repair, warehousing, temp agency, dry cleaners, pet groomers, etc.
- Retail/Wholesale: Any business primarily selling retail or wholesale items, such as: restaurants, gasoline stations, clothing, produce, grocery, department, and home improvement stores.
- Property Rentals/Management: Rentals include: hotels, motels, apartments, rooming houses, duplexes, triplexes, trailer courts, mobile home parks, office complexes, and similar rental units having four or more units, spaces, rooms or properties.
- Coin-Operated/Vending Machines: Any business that operates by coin, credit or debit card. Examples are: coin laundry mats, pool tables, newspaper stands, beverage & food machines, movie kiosk, etc.
Please note, applicants for Business Licenses should be aware that federal and state laws require disability access be provided for buildings open to the public. Click here for a copy of the Notice regarding DISABILITY ACCESS REQUIREMENTS AND RESOURCES
Non Profit Organizations
Forward the completed Exempt Business License Application and Non-Profit Financial Statement.
Business Licenses are valid for one calendar year and expire on December 31st of each year. Licenses must be renewed annually and payment of fees must be paid no later than January 31st of each year.
Payment of annual renewal maybe paid Online, before January 31st. If paid after the due date, interest and penalties will apply.
Other Important Links
Alcoholic Beverage Control Board - www.abc.ca.gov
Articles of Incorporation - www.ss.ca.gov
Bureau of Automotive Repair - www.autorepair.ca.gov
Community Care Licensing - www.ccld.ca.gov
Health Department - www.lapublichealth.org
Franchise Tax Board - www.ftb.ca.gov
Los Angeles County Registrar Recorder- www.lavote.net
Norwalk Chamber of Commerce - www.norwalkchamber.com
Social Security Information - www.ssa.gov