The Business Watch Program is designed to enhance the networking and communications between the business community, City of Norwalk, and the Norwalk Sheriff’s station. The purpose of the Business Watch Program is to support businesses through proactive collaborative efforts to actively reduce and prevent crime impacting the business community, using communication, education, and enforcement. The business’ partnership with the Norwalk Public Safety Department and the Sheriff’s Station creates improved communication, to better identify and address specific activity negatively impacting the business, as well as to provide businesses with valuable safety and crime prevention information.
Below are some examples of what businesses can do to help reduce and prevent crime. Changing the physical environment of a building/business are effective tools in reducing and preventing crime.
- Remove advertising blocking the visibility of window areas, especially near the cashier
- Increase lighting around the exterior of the building and parking lot
- Trim vegetation which create hiding areas to discourage loitering
- Remove and/or lock outside electricity/power sources that are being used for charging of phones and electronic devices
- Do not encourage panhandling and/or loitering/drinking on the premises by providing persons with money, food, etc.
Learn more about neighborhood organizing. “Organize a Business Watch” now!
Contact the Public Safety Department at (562) 929-5732 to find out how you can join the program. Learn new ways to be the solution in preventing crime on your business property.
How can I report a concern, suspicious activity, or crime?
- City of Norwalk Public Safety Department (562) 929-5732
- Norwalk Sheriff’s Station (562) 863-8711 or 9-1-1
- Crime Stoppers (800) 222-TIPS (8477)
*Informants can remain anonymous