Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The Engineering Division is responsible for design, inspection, and administration of the City's infrastructure construction projects that include streets, sewers, water lines, drainage systems, and all traffic related activities. The Division produces and maintains the maps, drawings, and records of the City's facilities within the public right-of-way as well as subdivision maps and assists the public with engineering related matters. 

The Engineering Division issues all permits for activities within the public right-of-way that generally includes the streets, sidewalks, and grass parkway areas. 

Types of permits that are issued by Engineering include:

  • Encroachment permits for temporary trash bins. Permits are required to place a temporary trash bin in the street and are valid for a maximum period of two weeks. Contact your disposal company, Athens Services, at (888) 336-6100 for availability and rental fees for trash containers. 
  • Construction or repair of drive approaches, public sidewalks, wheel chair ramps, or curbs and gutters. 
  • Excavating in the public right-of-way for sewers, water lines, or other digging activities. 
  • Road use permits for extra large or heavy loads.

For more information, please contact the Engineering Division at (562) 929-5723 or  

Permit Application Process:

Due to COVID-19, we are currently accepting permit applications via e-mail. Permit application e-mail messages should include the attachments mentioned below. Electronic copies of the permit application forms will be posted soon. In the meantime, contact if you need a scan of a blank permit application form. 

We are also open to the public by appointment only, but transactions by phone and e-mail are preferred. If you wish to schedule an appointment, please call or e-mail us.

Permit applications must be submitted either on the Road Use Permit or Construction Permit forms available from Norwalk City Hall, 12700 Norwalk Blvd., Room 12, Norwalk, CA 90650. Both forms are printed on triplicate carbon-copy paper, where the handwriting on the top page is automatically copied over to the copies beneath.

The permit application starts when you submit a permit on our forms, either in person or through the mail, along with 1 copy of your certificate of insurance (if applicable, unless we already have it on file) and 2 copies of any associated back-up (construction drawings, traffic control plans, etc.).

Our Engineering division will review your application and contact you if we have any questions or to let you know if the application is approved. If the application is approved, we will contact you to let you know what the fees will be.

During our review, we will determine what requirements are necessary to add to the permit and what changes might need to be made to your proposed method of work.

The permit will typically require that you notify our Engineering division at (562) 929-5723 at least 24 hours before starting the work.

Other typical requirements include notifying affected residents or businesses 72 hours before the work, and posting temporary “NO PARKING” signs 48 hours before the work. Requirements and fees can vary with each permit depending on the scope and location and timing of the work.


The following parking lots are available near City Hall:

  • an open air parking lot in front of City Hall
  • a three-story parking structure service the courthouse and movie theater

Depending on the time and day you arrive, you may receive a ticket from the parking lot entry gate. Please bring the ticket into our office and we can validate your parking ticket. If you do not get your parking ticket validated, you may have to pay to exit the parking lot.


We are closed every other Friday and on major holidays. Monday - Thursday we are open for processing permits from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. On the Fridays we are open, we are open for processing permits from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.

We are currently open to the public by appointment only, with no walk-up appointments allowed. Many questions/services can be answered/offered by phone and e-mail. If you wish to schedule an appointment, please call or e-mail us.


We accept the following forms of permit fee payment in person:

  • Cash (If you wish to pay with cash, you must notify us of this payment preference when scheduling your appointment.)
  • Credit Card
  • Debit Card with PIN
  • Checks payable to “City of Norwalk”

We also accept checks in the mail sent to Norwalk City Hall, Engineering - Room 12, 12700 Norwalk Blvd., Norwalk, CA 90650.

During the COVID-19 state of emergency, we are also accepting credit card payments over the phone.

Bids and RFPs:

Notices Inviting Bids and RFP’s for selected Engineering Division projects can be found on the City's Open Bids and RFPs webpage, along with projects from other city departments and divisions. Click here for open Bids and RFPs.

The full bid documents, however, including any plans, specifications, and bid bond forms, must typically be purchased from our office in-person or with a check in the mail, as indicated in the notice inviting bids. See also our Hours and Payment sections.

Documents and Resources:

Norwalk Truck Route Map

Standard Drawings (coming soon).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. How do I get traffic count information? 

A. Call (562) 929-5723 

Additional Documents:

Green Streets Manual [PDF]
2011 SSMP Bi-Annual Audit [PDF]
Design and Performance Provisions [PDF]
FOG Control Program [PDF]
Legal Authority [PDF]
Operation and Maintenance Program [PDF]
Overflow Emergency Response Plan [PDF]
System Evaluation and Capacity Assurance Plan [PDF]


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site