VALLEY VIEW AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT
Construction on this project is 33% complete.
Completion of first half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Revised to *late 2019.
Completion of second half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Revised to *late 2021.
Completion of entire I-5 Valley View Ave. Interchange project: Revised to *late 2021.
Also, please go to our Twitter page at twitter.com/My5LA for project updates.
Scheduled road closures for next week:
1. S. Firestone Blvd. is scheduled to be closed from Marquardt Ave. to the Valley View Ave. Bridge on Sunday, Dec. 09 for paving of a new detour. Only local businesses within the closure will be permitted from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The road will be closed to all from 9 p.m. to Sunday, Dec. 09 until 6 a.m. Monday, Dec. 10.
S. Firestone Blvd. will close again from 9 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13 until 6 a.m. Friday, Dec. 14 to stripe and to switch traffic. When S. Firestone Blvd. re-opens, traffic will utilize the new detour.
2. Southbound I-5 between Valley View Ave. and Artesia Blvd. is scheduled to be reduced to one lane to place K-rail and crash cushion from 11:59 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10 until 5 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 11. On and off ramps will remain open.
3. Valley View Ave. is scheduled to be closed in both directions from Alondra Blvd. to Arbor Pl. for signal relocation and pothole repair from 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 11 until 6 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12. Traffic will not be able to access Firestone Blvd. from Valley View Ave., but traffic will be able to turn right onto Valley View Ave. from Firestone Blvd. Local businesses will be permitted access at all times.
Grading and compacting are complete for the section of ground that will support the third (middle) section of the first half of Valley View Ave. Bridge. Workers have been delivering supplies to assemble falsework (temporary structure support). Photos below from December 4:
Construction of retaining walls for the new southbound Firestone Blvd. where it will connect to Valley View Ave in La Mirada continues. Concrete forms are placed over rebar frame in preparation for concrete pour. Photos below from November 13, 20 and 27:
At the Coyote Creek Bridge in La Mirada, the rebar frames for the footing of at the abutment walls have been installed and encased in concrete. Now workers are covering the rebar frames of the walls with forms in preparation for a concrete pour. Photos below November 13, November 27, and December 4 show the progress:
Construction of the pier walls that will support the new bridge over Coyote Creek, east of I-5 near Trojan Way, in La Mirada, is complete. The bridge will carry the new lanes of I-5 and N. Firestone Blvd. Photos below:
Grading and curb installation is complete for a temporary detour to Firestone Blvd. near the Valley View Ave. Bridge west of I-5. Grading and compacting continue where the Valley View Ave. off-ramp from southbound I-5 and the southbound Firestone Blvd. ramp will connect to the bridge. Photos below from November 27:
The final layer of concrete has been poured on the surface on the Valley View Bridge over Arbor Place and west of I-5 in Cerritos. Photos below from October 2:
Valley View Ave. will be elevated to meet with the new Valley View Ave. Bridge. In turn, N. Firestone Blvd. will be elevated to meet Valley View Ave. In preparation for these modifications, N. Firestone Blvd. is now reduced to one lane in each direction between Gateway Dr. and Valley View Ave.
Trucks 2500 lbs. or more and / or at least 25’ long will not be permitted to:
• Drive on N. Firestone Blvd. between Valley View Ave. and Gateway Dr.
• Turn left or right onto N. Firestone Blvd. from Valley View Ave.
• Turn left from the northbound I-5 Valley View Ave. exit ramp at Gateway Dr.
to access Valley View. They must turn right onto N. Firestone Blvd.
Access to all local businesses will remain open.
Through the remainder of this project, there will be recurring closures of:
N. Firestone Blvd. between Valley View Ave. and Gateway Dr.
Valley View Ave. between Alondra Blvd. and Park Place.
Access to businesses within those closure parameters will ALWAYS be permitted. Secure the attention to workers on scene to allow access, if necessary.
N. Firestone Boulevard is CLOSED between Knott Avenue and Trojan Way in La Mirada until at least April of 2019 to prepare for the widening of I-5 and to allow demolition and reconstruction of the bridge over Coyote Creek. N. Firestone Boulevard will be rebuilt to the east. Closure and detour map below:
The City of La Mirada has requested increased assistance from the La Mirada Sheriff's Department enforcing the traffic regulations prohibiting large trucks from using N. Firestone Blvd. between the I-5 on and off ramps and Valley View Ave. Caltrans will secure enforcement assistance from the CHP and will be adding more signs to divert large trucks from the restricted portion of roadway.
Questions and Answers:
1. When construction is complete, will S. Firestone Blvd. still run through from Valley View Ave to Artesia Blvd.?
2. When N. Firestone Blvd. is re-opened between Knott Ave. and Trojan Way, will traffic signals be installed at those two intersections?
The construction plans currently provide for stop signs only. Any changes would need to be requested by the city of La Mirada.
3. Will N. Firestone Blvd be rebuilt from Trojan Way all the way to the I-5 ramps? Yes
*DISCLAIMER: Due to the dynamic nature of construction, please note that all dates and times are subject to change due to unforeseen operational factors or inclement weather.