VALLEY VIEW AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT
Construction on this project is 56% complete.
Completion of first half of Valley View Ave. Bridge: Open to traffic Monday, October 7, 2019
Second southbound lane will open by early 2020.
Completion of second half of Valley View Ave Bridge: Revised to *late 2021.
Target date to open new Valley View Ave. off ramp from NB & SB I-5 and Valley View Ave. on ramp to NB I-5 is late *March 2020.
N. Firestone Blvd. reverts to two lanes in each direction east of Valley View Ave.: End of 2021.
N. Firestone Blvd. re-opens between Knott Ave. and Trojan Way: * first half by early 2020.
I-5 Valley View Ave. Interchange projected date of completion: Revised to *end of 2021.
At the time of this update, construction on this project will continue.
The following closure has been tentatively rescheduled for the dates of *6 a.m. Monday, March 30 through *5 p.m. Friday, April 10:
S. Firestone Blvd. will be closed for a short portion near the on ramp to southbound I-5 – from the on ramp to an area north of the driveways to the local businesses that are below the on ramp. To install sewer line casing (extend the Los Angeles County Sanitation District Sewer System line) below ground.
The on ramp to southbound I-5 will remain open.
S. Firestone Blvd. will remain open from Marquardt Ave. to the on ramp to southbound I-5.
All driveways for the businesses between Artesia Blvd. and the on ramp to southbound I-5 will remain open, but they will only be accessible from Artesia Blvd.
S. Firestone Blvd. will remain open between Artesia Blvd. and the closure area north of the businesses.
The on ramp to southbound I-5 will NOT be accessible from Artesia Blvd.
Workers are also installing footings for the second half of the bridge, installing rebar " cages" that will serve as frames for concrete support columns and covering them with "forms", and driving steel pipe "piles" below ground.
The contractor is constructing the abutment and retaining walls for the Firestone Blvd. ramp where it will connect to the second half of Valley View Ave. Bridge. Photos below from December 10 and 31:
On Valley View Ave., new restrictions include:
1. Access from Valley View Ave. to S. Firestone Blvd. (just north of the railroad tracks) is now permanently closed. However, S. Firestone Blvd. remains open to traffic between Marquardt Ave. and Artesia Blvd.
2. The Valley View on-ramp to southbound I-5 from S. Firestone Blvd. is now closed as we add new lanes to the freeway.
3. For the business complex east of Valley View Ave. and north of Park Place, one of the two-way access driveways closed. However, a new road has been constructed to allow one-way traffic to exit the complex on the north end to access Arbor Place.
4. "Old" Valley View Ave. is now closed from the south end of the Valley View Ave. Bridge to the north end. The existing half of the old bridge is closed so that we may demolish and reconstruct it. Traffic on Valley View Ave. is now traversing the first half of the new bridge.
The contractor is pile driving steel pipe piles in to the ground west of I-5 and south of the bridge for future retaining and abutment walls. Concrete has been poured at the section where Firestone Blvd. will rise to meet the bridge
Valley View Ave. will be elevated to meet with the new Valley View Ave. Bridge. In turn, N. Firestone Blvd. will be elevated to meet Valley View Ave. In preparation for these modifications, N. Firestone Blvd. is now reduced to one lane in each direction between Gateway Dr. and Valley View Ave.
Trucks 2500 lbs. or more and / or at least 25’ long will not be permitted to:
• Drive on N. Firestone Blvd. between Valley View Ave. and Gateway Dr.
• Turn left or right onto N. Firestone Blvd. from Valley View Ave.
• Turn left from the northbound I-5 Valley View Ave. exit ramp at Gateway Dr.
to access Valley View. They must turn right onto N. Firestone Blvd.
Access to all local businesses will remain open.
Through the remainder of this project, there will be recurring closures of:
N. Firestone Blvd. between Valley View Ave. and Gateway Dr.
Valley View Ave. between Alondra Blvd. and Park Place.
Access to businesses within those closure parameters will ALWAYS be permitted. Secure the attention to workers on scene to allow access, if necessary.
N. Firestone Boulevard is CLOSED between Knott Avenue and Trojan Way in La Mirada until at least April of 2019 to prepare for the widening of I-5 and to allow demolition and reconstruction of the bridge over Coyote Creek. N. Firestone Boulevard will be rebuilt to the east. Closure and detour map below:
The City of La Mirada has requested increased assistance from the La Mirada Sheriff's Department enforcing the traffic regulations prohibiting large trucks from using N. Firestone Blvd. between the I-5 on and off ramps and Valley View Ave. Caltrans will secure enforcement assistance from the CHP and will be adding more signs to divert large trucks from the restricted portion of roadway.
Questions and Answers:
1. When construction is complete, will S. Firestone Blvd. still run through from Valley View Ave to Artesia Blvd.?
2. When N. Firestone Blvd. is re-opened between Knott Ave. and Trojan Way, will traffic signals be installed at those two intersections?
The construction plans currently provide for stop signs only. Any changes would need to be requested by the city of La Mirada.
3. Will N. Firestone Blvd be rebuilt from Trojan Way all the way to the I-5 ramps? Yes
*DISCLAIMER: Due to the dynamic nature of construction, please note that all dates and times are subject to change due to unforeseen operational factors or inclement weather.